Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I Cannot Tell a Lie: George Washington Basketball Deserves Respect

In light of the Midnight Madness festivities held this past Friday, the ceremonial start to the college basketball season, I would like to draw attention to DC's most underappreciated college basketball program, the George Washington Colonials.

Maryland and Georgetown annually dominate the coverage of the local college basketball season, and the build up to this season has been no different. Georgetown returns arguably the best center in the country, and will challenge for a national title; in that regard that I concede the Hoyas warrant the hype. Maryland grabbed national headlines this past week when the NCAA released graduation statistics for Division I basketball programs, in which Maryland ranked last, not graduating a single player who enrolled between 1997-2000 (not the kind of coverage I am really seeking for GW, but coverage none the less).

But what about GW? The colonials return a solid squad, headlined by Maurice Rice, who I predict will emerge as one of the best guards in the country this year. Rice is a true competitor, is tough, and can score (he broke Wilt Chamberlain's Philadelphia high school scoring record).

GW is poised to return to its 4th straight NCAA tournament. Neither Maryland nor Georgetown have experienced that kind of consistent success in recent years. And I can't help but point out, that in head to head action against Maryland, GW is 2-0 in recent years.

I challenge all college basketball fans to not only take note of the Colonials this season, but to get out to a game. The Charles E. Smith Center epitomizes what a college basketball venue is all about. The place is loud, crowded, and puts the students on the floor (which I can hardly say about the other Smith Center that I frequented games in... sorry Dean).

- The Colonial

No comments: